10

21 March 2016

Snow Like Ashes {Yomna's Review}

Sixteen years ago the Kingdom of Winter was conquered and its citizens enslaved, leaving them without magic or a monarch. Now the Winterians' only hope for freedom is the eight survivors who managed to escape, and who have been waiting for the opportunity to steal back Winter's magic and rebuild the kingdom ever since.
Orphaned as an infant during Winter's defeat, Meira has lived her whole life as a refugee. Training to be a warrior?and desperately in love with her best friend, Winter's future king?she would do anything to help Winter rise to power again.
So when scouts discover the location of the ancient locket that can restore Winter's magic, Meira decides to go after it herself?only to find herself thrust into a world of evil magic and dangerous politics?and ultimately comes to realize that her destiny is not, never has been, her own.
Spoilers!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


My rating: 4/5 
I'm in such a good mood right now, and I'm so ready to write this. 
In the beginning: I think this book was pretty captivating from the beginning but not as captivating as other books I've read. It did pull me in though, because the main character, Meira, was so relateable. She was very beautiful because she was brave and wanted to prove herself. It made for a pretty good beginning. 

The world: the world in this book was amazing. I tried to explain it to my mom about the seasons and stuff, but she just thought it was childish. But in reality, the world in this book is pretty damn amazing. And very well developed, especially Winter, which Meira doesn't see until the end, and doesn't really have memories of. 


"Someday we will be more than 

words in the dark"

Plot twist: I know I should be talking about the plot twist at the end of this review, but I'm losing track of what I want to write about so now I`m talking about it. And by plot twist I mean when we find out that Meira is in fact, Winter's queen. Now this I was not expecting, at all. I was happily surprised though. I feel Meira needed it because she feels so worthless in the beginnings of the book because she can't help Winter but then realizes how big her role is in saving winter and how much she can do. 


Matter in the way you are needed: I think one of the best things to take away from this book is that if you want to matter, you have to matter in the way you are needed to. Not how you want. After all, desperate times call for desperate measures. 


Belonging: What was most fascinating about this book was all the young Winterians who felt this overwhelming yearn for Winter, even though they don't have their own memories of the kingdom. And that I think, was very beautiful how the memories were passed on, how they could form these images and imagine Winter until they could see the real thing. 


"They make decisions; they mold your

 future. The trick is to find a way to still

 be YOU throughout it all"

Teams: I am so conflicted. I think I would probably be leaning more towards Prince Theron but I really like Mather too. He's a very kind and beautiful character. In the beginning I was completely Team Mather (mostly because there was no reason not to). But by the end I preferred Prince Theron for Meira, it seemed like they related to each other.   


This book makes me want to work out: Seriously. I'm reading about Meira climbing building and doing all sorts badass (#girlpower) stuff and I'm here sitting on my couch feeling seriously motivated to get up and do stuff. But I obviously don't get up because I still need to finish the book. I know, awkward. Whatever, reading about people doing stuff is equal to actually doing it, right?


"I'm yours to command, my queen," he whispers, and bows his head. 

Furthermore, I'm starting Ice Like Fire, the sequel, probably today or tomorrow. And I'm now excited for the last book. I hope the next book is just as good as Snow Like Ashes. I definitely recommend this book, it made for a very heartwarming read.  

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Tell us all your thoughts!

 

Reading Witches Template by Ipietoon Cute Blog Design and Bukit Gambang. This blog is © by Reading Witches.

Back to Top