10

2 January 2017

Heartless by Marissa Meyer {Yomna's Review} | How can the queen of hearts be heartless?


My rating: 5/5

Unimaginably lovely. 

Spoilers Ahead!


It's the year 2017, and this is the first book I have completed this year. Last year I read 64 books, and this year I have challenged myself to complete 70. I'm so excited to get those books off my TBR shelf on Goodreads. Goodness knows they've been sitting there forever.

Wow. I loved this story. It was so original and just so surprising. In a land of perfect endings, this book stands out as a tragedy that compels my mind. 

I am not completely familiar with the Alice in Wonderland world, I mean, I've watched the Disney movies (check out my review of Alice Through the Looking Glass), but I've heard from several people that they are a little inaccurate in their portrayal of the story. Although I didn't know much about the story, I didn't feel like I was lost or bewildered while reading this book. 

It was hard for me to get into this book at the beginning because it felt slow and uneventful. And Catherine really didn't interest me in the beginning. I felt like she was flat and boring. But as soon as I got through the first 50 or so pages, it picked up and I was loving it. At first I really disliked the name 'Jest' but then it grew on me. 


"It is a dangerous thing to unbelieve something only because it frightens you"


I am quickly running out of appropriate and comprehensive words and expressions to demonstrate my admiration for all the books I love. But let me tell you, this book was fantastic. I went in expecting a happy twist on a classic tale, but you get a story that is true to the captivating (as I hear) original and satisfying to the reader. The story felt real, it felt colorful, and I was enjoying it wildly. Long after the pages end, I still mourn Catherine's loss of heart. 

When a book is called Heartless, naturally, you don't expect the main character to be actually literally heartless in the end. So you can imagine I was, in fact, extremely surprised to find that how beloved Catherine was legit heartless. How did she do that? Science has no explanation.

"Play coy all you like, Lady Pinkerton. Cling to your belief in your own innocence. You know as well as I that you’re going to break at least one heart before this is over, and I want nothing more to do with you."


The romance in this book was phenomenal. Jest was so humorous and Catherine and him were fantastic together. Too bad that ship sunk. At least now we know why that bitchy queen of hearts was so bitchy. 

Overall, fantastic and immersive writing, and this book was one of the best I've read in a while. Fantasy has always been my favorite, and this book satisfied me completely. This is definitely a book I'll be thinking about for a while. 



forever and always,
yomna



0 comments:

Post a Comment

Tell us all your thoughts!

 

Reading Witches Template by Ipietoon Cute Blog Design and Bukit Gambang. This blog is © by Reading Witches.

Back to Top