10

27 May 2016

A Midsummer Night's Dream by William Shakespeare {Yomna's Review}


MY RATING: 4/5

This is my first Shakespeare play and I really enjoyed it. I am actually reading this because of my English class, I have an assignment to do about this play and I had to read it to do it. I know in my life I'm going to have to read at least one more piece of work by Shakespeare, and I'm glad I started with this one. It's really good. 


"Ay me! For aught that I could ever read, Could ever hear by tale or history,
The course of true love never did run smooth."

Comedy: there were some instances in this play where I felt things were supposed to be funny but they just weren't. Many elements of the comedy have survived time but many elements haven't. I felt that instead of the play being hilarious it just had this funny feel to it all the way through. I thought that made it much more fun to read. 


Shakespeare's writing is so timeless and swoon worthy, and I don't think anyone should go through their life without at least trying some of his work. But Shakespeare's writing is also known for being really hard to read and understand. That's why when I was reading this I was reading a version where it gave me the original text side to side when the modern simplified version. I read both, it's stupid to read Shakespeare and not experience the true writing, and then I read the simplified version so I could understand better. 

"O hell, to choose love by another’s eyes!" 

Redefining Rom-Coms: This play gives the romantic comedy genre a whole new definition to me. Usually when I think of rom-coms, I think of the here and now movies that there was a plenty of during the beginnings of the 2000s. I don't really think about something like this, more magical and timeless. Absolutely loved the magical elements in this play, and I felt they were not too complicated so there wasn't too much world building. This play really throws you in there from the beginning. 

As for the romance in this play, I must say there was a distinct lack of it. The story is more about these couples whose love for eachother has been already established and what happened to them that confuses them helplessly. There were a few conversations where the lovers talked and that was lovely, but for a romantic comedy, it does bring the focus away from the romance and more to the comedy. 

"And though she be but little, she is fierce." 

Writing: now I really understand why Shakespeare's writing is so praised. It's just so spectacular. The imagery he creates with his words is incredible and vivid. In his metaphors and similes, he uses comparisons that I would've never thought of yet make perfect sense. 

Furthermore, really enjoyed this play, and I feel very accomplished now that I've read one Shakespearean play. Now back to my YA books. Reading Crown of Midnight next!!!!

Love,
Yomna

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Tell us all your thoughts!

 

Reading Witches Template by Ipietoon Cute Blog Design and Bukit Gambang. This blog is © by Reading Witches.

Back to Top