10

14 July 2018

Cinder by Marissa Meyer | Just when you think you know Cinderella.... {Yomna's Review}

My rating: 4.25/5 


I loved this book. Just when you think all the ways to tell Cinderella have already been told, Marissa Meyer barges in with this epic (EPIC) retelling that defies all expectations. It's honestly one of the best books I've read this year. The world-building is amazingly immersive, the tech, the setting, everything was perfect and so so interesting.  Secondly, the characters are incredible!! Every character is carefully constructed, from their looks to their desires, there is no lazy writing here. Cinder is a book that I can confidently call a masterpiece, I CANNOT wait to continue with the series! 

One of my favorite things about this book was definitely Cinder's actions and thoughts, boy do we have a spunky Cinderella. She's not a Celaena Sardothien (Throne of Glass), she doesn't have a sword and armor or a killer body, but she's unique in a way that makes her so very emotionally competent and interesting.  I also loved how Marissa Meyer didn't force herself to include all the elements of Cinderella (the glass shoe, etc), instead, she keeps all the details that matter like her mistreatment by her family and her bravery, making Cinder a princess in her own right. I love me a solid retelling that brings new ideas to the page! 


“I don't know. I don't actually remember anything from before the surgery."

His eyebrows rose, his blue eyes sucking in all the light of the room. "The cybernetic operation?"
"No, the sex change."
The doctor's smile faltered.
"I'm joking.”

I also adored Princess Kai. He's the classic Prince Charming but in a wonderful, non-cheesy way. I loved the relationship between him and Cinder (You know I'm a sucker for romance) and I cannot wait for them to reunite in the next book. 



Overall I'm stunned, impressed, and very happy with this book and the writing! I totally get what the buzz is about, this is not an overrated book by any measure. It's not every day that a person encounters a book with this amazing writing, and kudos to Marissa Meyer for that!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Tell us all your thoughts!

 

Reading Witches Template by Ipietoon Cute Blog Design and Bukit Gambang. This blog is © by Reading Witches.

Back to Top