10

1 February 2019

Review: Strange the Dreamer by Laini Taylor | What a fantastic read

I enjoyed this book very much. My rating is 4.5/5. It got me out of a giant reading slump and I am so grateful for that. I read Laini Taylor's A Daughter of Smoke and Bone series and really enjoyed it, although I found this book even better in terms of writing. This is such a beautifully written book I was so impressed. 



Characters

First of all, the main characters of this book are awesome. I love Lazlo Strange and how he embodies the perfect bookworm. His "dreamer" personality was so inspiring and I felt like he was such an original character. 
I loved Sarai as well, I thought her struggles and thoughts were beautifully written. Although for the first half of the book more time is spent with Lazlo, I still felt like Sarai's story was still perfectly incorporated and I really emphasized with her situation. I thought the scenes where Sarai and Lazlo had their first encounters were also really cool since so much tension went into the anticipation of the stories meeting. 

Side characters 

Another thing that was amazing about this book was the side characters such as Eril-Fane and Azareen. Their stories were so important to the story and so well characterized that I felt like Laini Taylor had really taken the time to make it perfect. I especially loved Eril-Fane who was a very morally grey character and I would love to see the rest of his story in book 2. 

Setting 
I think anyone who has read this book would agree that the descriptive writing of this book was breath-taking. I have never felt so enveloped within the setting of the book. Laini Taylor uses some incredible imagery to make readers feel like they can see and hear everything in the book, and I really appreciated that. 

Romance 
It's not a Laini Taylor book without a signature touch of romance, and the relationships of this books gave me all the feels. Even though there was a bit of "insta-love", the characters were so beautifully interacting that I can forgive the haste. 
Sarai and Lazlo were such an interesting couple and I can't wait to see what they will go through together in the next book. 

Ending 
Last but not least, this ending shocked me. I can't wait to see what will happen in the next book (Which I will read immediately) and I'm hoping for the best. 
My thoughts are all jumbled like they should be after a good suspenseful ending.


What did you think of this incredible read? Let me know in the comments below!

2 comments:

  1. I haven't read this one yet but it is on my wishlist and I cannot wait to read it. I am a huge character driven reader and the characters sound amazing. I love that the secondary characters get a lot of focus and involvement too. And yay for a gorgeous writing style. Great review x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, this book is amazing and it will completely immerse you into it with the characters and storyline. I hope you read it and enjoy it too! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete

Tell us all your thoughts!

 

Reading Witches Template by Ipietoon Cute Blog Design and Bukit Gambang. This blog is © by Reading Witches.

Back to Top