10

15 February 2016

The Selection (series) By Kiera Cass



Contains Major Plot Spoilers!


    Blurb The HeirPrincess Eadlyn has grown up hearing endless stories about how her mother and father met. Twenty years ago, America Singer entered the Selection and won the heart of Prince Maxon—and they lived happily ever after. Eadlyn has always found their fairy-tale story romantic, but she has no interest in trying to repeat it. If it were up to her, she'd put off marriage for as long as possible.

    But a princess's life is never entirely her own, and Eadlyn can't escape her very own Selection—no matter how fervently she protests.
Eadlyn doesn't expect her story to end in romance. But as the competition begins, one entry may just capture Eadlyn's heart, showing her all the possibilities that lie in front of her . . . and proving that finding her own happily ever after isn't as impossible as she's always thought.


Yomna's rating: 5/5
My Review:

This is my second favorite series of all time, after The Hunger Games and preceding The 5th Wave.


Let's do this.

    I picked up this series from my school library and at first I was very enchanted by the covers, so I picked them up. You can judge me all you want, but covers are the first impression of a book, so if they're good it's more likely people will read them. 

    Team Maxon: I liked Aspen in the beginning but then Maxon just really won me over. He was so romantic and sweet and for goodness sake; he's a prince! I love Maxon. Maxon is my life. 
Now for the rating: from 0 to Peeta (Peeta is the best) Maxon would be 9. He's gorgeous, romantic, and sweet but doesn't quite make a Peeta. Sorry guys. It's not your fault Peeta is perfect. 



Do I have to put a hunger games gif in every post I do? Yes, of course. I feel like I do more to promote The Hunger Games than Lionsgate does.

    The Selection: Great book. I think the first book in a series is very important because it's the introduction into the world so it has to be good. As I said previously, I picked up this book in my school library and finished it in one day, (I was reading in science class while they were talking about enzymes) and then on the bus I freaked out because I didn't realise it was a series so I never checked out the other books. But then I didn't find them in my school library so I bought them. But anyways, The Selection is amazing.

    The Elite: Many people thought this book was annoying, but I don't get why, I loved this maybe a little less than I loved the first one, but that's beside the point, because I still loved it. I think in a trilogy this is what the books should cover.

    Book 1: Extended Introduction Book 2: Character's Struggles Book 3: Coming into their own. So I think the second book should have the majority of the character's especially emotional struggles and I think The Elite did that very well.
    
    THE ONE: Yes, I HAD to use caps.


I think we need to talk about *certain* scenes:

    The *almost* sex scene: Now this was gold. It was amazing. I would read this book just for that scene, it's amazing. Would've been more amazing if they had sex though. You see in this part Maxon and America and how much they love each other and everything just comes together. I love the part where he laughs at her because she's being so demanding. 

    What happens after the *almost* sex scene: Was anyone else sobbing? I was. I fell in love with it so much I was terrified of it ending in a bad way. When the attack started, I couldn't comprehend it, and it got me panicky because I was scared of him dying. Up until the point America walked into the hospital room to see Aspen I thought Maxon was dead. I was dying, it would've been so sad. Thank god, he was alive.

    The Marriage Proposal: Beautiful. Marriage proposal goals.
He couldn't kneel to her though, doesn't matter because she still said yes. 

    The Epilogue: I loved the epilogue because it showed us that America is still the same and she's still terrified of it all but she'd still do it all over again for Maxon, and in many ways for her, because love is the food of the heart. OMG that was so good. Let me google it and check that I didn't steal it from a book. 
*1 minute later*

No it's all original. All that comes up is pictures of heart-shaped pies. Yay!

    The Heir by Kiera Cass: October 2014, I'm sitting at a computer at the school library with a friend of mine and looking up Kiera Cass, only to find out that the cover and plot of the fourth Selection book was revealed. And my, the cover was amazing. So glittery, so gorgeous.

    I liked the idea of a reversed selection, and really wanted to know how the castes being removed turned out (surely there would be chaos when people who had lived under a system for so long had it removed, no matter how cruel it is) because in The One it sounded like they would just remove it and then there would be sunshine and rainbows.

    Anyways loved this book! It was amazing. I'm team Kile, I don't really like Hale or Erik so yeah. But whatever Eadlyn chooses, I hope Kiera Cass makes me root for them by the end of the last book.

    Many people have hated on Eadlyn and said that she was annoying, but frankly I don't think so at all. She's sassy, she knows who's in power (her) and she has to make that clear because maybe she feels she is vulnerable in some ways. The Heir was an extremely entertaining book and I adored it. 

    If you think about it. The Heir really doesn't have that much romance (just a few beautiful makout scenes with Kile) because at first Eadlyn is very willing to stop the selection, that's why I hope in the next and last book, The Crown there will be more kissing. Ugh I'm so excited! Did you see the cover? 

                                                                                    

    It's so gorgeous, I love the color. I'm a little annoyed by her eyebrows though, they look too overdone. 

    But the most important issue is: will you-know-who die in the crown? Let's hope not. 
 


Srishti's Review: 4.5/5 
    OMG! OMG! OMG! I CAN'T BREATH! *distant fangirl screaming* !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Wow! I need to calm down. Deep breaths! Where were we? ( <-- Have you noticed that this sentence's words all start with W and end with E! It's my favourite sentence!) Okay I think I'm going crazy! I mean who wouldn't, the series is the best. I must admit it isn't highly placed in my list of favourite series but it is surely in my top ten. Without further ado let's get started!

    I absolutely love it! It was so captivating and I absolutely love it. The book empowers women a tad bit more. The society isn't very resemblant to today but it is quite possible for us to turn that way. It is just mesmerising! I cannot put into words my love for it but I can try! Before I get into the reviews I just wanted to say that per choice I have not read the fourth book because I am awaiting the fifth to come out!


Blurb:
    For thirty-five girls, the Selection is the chance of a lifetime. The opportunity to escape the life laid out for them since birth. To be swept up in a world of glittering gowns and priceless jewels. To live in a palace and compete for the heart of gorgeous Prince Maxon.

    But for America Singer, being Selected is a nightmare. It means turning her back on her secret love with Aspen, who is a caste below her. Leaving her home to enter a fierce competition for a crown she doesn't want. Living in a palace that is constantly threatened by violent rebel attacks.

    Then America meets Prince Maxon. Gradually, she starts to question all the plans she's made for herself—and realizes that the life she's always dreamed of may not compare to a future she never imagined.
 


Author

Keira Cass
Pages
336 
Literary Awards


 The first book is the one that forms the most opinion upon the book. It is also the one which makes the reader decide to read more or not. If you ever want to write a series it is important to hook a reader from the start whether it starts from an action or it is a descriptive scene it doesn't matter only if it is "hook-ish". Actually, it doesn't matter if it is a series or not just make it hook-ish! Thus, it is adequate for multiple type of text such as essays or novels. I would love to dwell more on hooks but I don't think you would want to know more. I will let my inner Captain Hook calm down first. 
*one minute later*

    Done! So what was I saying? Oh yes! The first book has formed a pleasant and strong judgment on the book from my part. I like how the book describes the situation America and the government is in. It also starts fabricating a base for America and Maxon's relationship! 


TEAM MAXON FOR EVAH! 

    For every team Aspen person out there I am sorry to inform that your wish will never be accomplished! *In a queen Bee voice* Sorry not sorry!


    I also really like America's character. In the first book she is this beautiful immature and a bit childish lady but she slowly grows- through the book- into a beautiful woman. Next book...



Blurb:
The Selection began with thirty-five girls.
Now with the group narrowed down to the six Elite, the competition to win Prince Maxon's heart is fiercer than ever—and America is still struggling to decide where her heart truly lies. Is it with Maxon, who could make her life a fairy tale? Or with her first love, Aspen?

America is desperate for more time. But the rest of the Elite know exactly what they want—and America's chance to choose is about to slip away.


Author

Keira Cass
Pages

336 


This is going to be short and can be represented in one gif: 


    I love it and was emotionally stressed when I finished it. The characters were more worked on and all were given a good support base. Unfortunately, some didn't have a very good backstory or none at all. We catch a better glimpse of the king and the queen. From my point the king is a ROYAL pain while I love the queen. Which is why I am not ready to write the next part of the post. Breath in and out. Don't cry! Too ... sniff... late... sniff. 



Blurb The One:
The time has come for one winner to be crowned.

When she was chosen to compete in the Selection, America never dreamed she would find herself anywhere close to the crown—or to Prince Maxon's heart. But as the end of the competition approaches, and the threats outside the palace walls grow more vicious, America realizes just how much she stands to lose—and how hard she'll have to fight for the future she wants.


Author

Keira Cass
Pages

323


EVERYONE DIES! WHAT THE BABA GANOUSH! NOT EVERYONE BUT STILL!!!

This series just got me in an emotional turmoil!

The conversation I had with Yomna when I started crying: 

- Oh god here it goes again! I'm crying! Can't write the last book blog review! Everyone dies *insert crying emoji* This isn't as bad as All the Bright Places but omg. I didn't even cry in the fault in our stars what the hell! I am not even on my periods !

- Wait what book?
- The one! 
- Omg I cried so much when I read that!
- Omg I just finished crying but still!
- *sends pictures of the selection that she took* Which one should I post?
- The first one
- Rly?
- It looks so cool! Love it!
- I think I'm eventually going to post the second. Is that okay?
- Omg SHIT UP! I am crying what the hell is wrong. Omg I need to calm down!
- Sry. It's such a beautiful story.
- No it's not you, it's me.
- I was an emotional wreck when I read that!
- I finished the book a while ago but it is still bringing tears!
  Omg, I'm okay. Oh god thanks.
- I feel you! When I saw Mockingjay part 2 I could't look at my 
Hunger Games books without bursting into tears !
- Omg is that what it is!? The realization of the end of a fangirl! 
  Omg what is happening, I stopped crying but wow. 
- *insert emoji*
- I'm just going to write what I just talked to you about! Oh god! 
- Yay Hope you are okay! Quote me: Yomna said"..."
- I am, I feel accomplished, but wow

    At least the proposal was beautiful! Just like the books! Can't wait to read the last books! Yomna informed me America finds herself in a coma in the fourth book so I am stressing out!!

Thank you, 
Lots of love,
Your fangirls,
Srishti and Yomna! 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Tell us all your thoughts!

 

Reading Witches Template by Ipietoon Cute Blog Design and Bukit Gambang. This blog is © by Reading Witches.

Back to Top