10

3 February 2016

Rubinrot / Saphirblau Movies

Let's do this!

Little bit of info: These movies are both originally in German. I watched the first one with an English dub and the second one with English subtitles. They are both based on German books by the same titles, that have been translated into English so that their current titles are Ruby Red, and Sapphire Blue. Also, there is a third book and movie in the trilogy, the book is currently out and titled Emerald Green and the movie is in post-production, due to come out in July exclusively in Germany.

Summary:  Gwyneth Shepherd's sophisticated, beautiful cousin Charlotte has been prepared her entire life for traveling through time. But unexpectedly, it is Gwyneth, who in the middle of class takes a sudden spin to a different era!

Gwyneth must now unearth the mystery of why her mother would lie about her birth date to ward off suspicion about her ability, brush up on her history, and work with Gideon--the time traveler from a similarly gifted family that passes the gene through its male line, and whose presence becomes, in time, less insufferable and more essential. Together, Gwyneth and Gideon journey through time to discover who, in the 18th century and in contemporary London, they can trust.



Yomna's Review: 4/5
Favorite Part: All the cute romantic scenes in Saphirblau definitely. Especially the scene where Gwyneth and Gideon are in the old library (or attic?) and they're dancing with candles and music. And what happens after too :) It was really romantic and sweet. I mean there were candles, dancing, and music (I listen to the song that was playing in that scene on Spotify.)

Good things: The world in the movie is definitely well done. These movies are relatively low-budget so I expected them to be low-quality cheesy nonsense. But I have to say everything was done really well. It was very authentic and historically accurate which is not something every time-traveling movie achieves.
Another good thing about this is it takes the idea of time traveling and makes it fresh, which I think is important because I think that when people hear 'time travel' they presume that's it's going to be childish. Honestly, I thought so too, but for this movie, it worked.   

Favorite Character: Madame Rossini, definitely. She's probably one of the most hilarious characters ever!

Least Favorite Character: Charlotte, duh. But at the same time, I also love her because she's got a lot of snark.

Bad Things:  The over-romanticizing of the book. Even though I'm glad they added more intimate scenes, I'd probably still pick the book over the movie, as always. The movie made them seem more adult rather than the teenage angst of the book which is more relatable.
                                                                                                                                                  

Where do I start! It was amazing. I really loved it! It was perfect. the books were already 
awesome. I was expecting a  disappointment as I couldn't even imagine how to represent some of the scenes. I was glad some parts were added (one and two kisses) but some were unfortunately excluded. Some of the characters were more worked on and some were also excluded *cough* ass**les *cough*! Charlotte's character was even more bitchy than usual. She was more like I would imagine. Unfortunately in the first book Gideon had long hair, which is just a turn-off. But he redeemed himself in the second movie and let me tell you he was HOT!


As a French speaker myself I had many cringe worthy moments when the characters tried speaking french. Madame Rossini's accent is perfect! It's simply like my dad's! 

As for the beloved hmm... sex scene... well it was cool I guess. I mean I couldn't watch because it made me uncomfortable. But from the description Yomna gave me, it was extremely hot. I absolutely loved it. Just like Yomna, I would definitely pick the books over the movies. I mean who wouldn't! Okay bye before I go into full-on word-vomiting. 

 

Reading Witches Template by Ipietoon Cute Blog Design and Bukit Gambang. This blog is © by Reading Witches.

Back to Top