10

4 February 2016

Life of Pi by Yann Martel





My rating: 4/5 


The book was very mind-blowing. It is very inspiring and confusing. My first advice while reading it is to have a completely clear mind. Like many books, it is based on different beliefs and ideas. What makes this book even more different is that it is about a young boy in the modern-day 21st century. It follows him through many different journeys. One of those 'journeys' is how he is directed spiritually. This is mostly where you have to be open-minded and not judgemental. The young Pi follows three different religions, which is very unusual. The young kid follows Hinduism, Islam, and Christianity. It is quite ironic because the three religions are very different. It is refreshing and beautiful. 

The book is situated in a small village and many different stories occur. Pi tells us many different stories which are fun and emotional. The book is very different as it is not in chronological order. It does follow him through a young age till his accident and where he is now but the small stories inside aren't in order. It is nice to know how it talks about the people and how they act. One thing I especially appreciated and that made me envious is its familiarity and coziness as I myself never have lived in a small village. 

It also portrays how and why the people need to move as no economy is situated there. It also explains how a small village was very populated but it slowly drifted apart. This story is not to be taken lightly as it is following serious matters. This is the kind of book you have to read during traveling or during the holiday because you need an open mind and no worries. I read it during the summer holidays while I was visiting my family in India and was totally hooked. I, unfortunately, wasn't in the same environment the book described. It makes you travel even more. 

Some parts were very heartbreaking and not easy to swallow. It left you in shock at how descriptive it is. It is just amazing. Overall the book is a breath of fresh air and would make you travel. It isn't some fun book but more of a serious book.

My favorite part was when the three different spiritual teachers finally met and realized that the young boy has been the best pupil in all of the religions. It is exactly these types of small stories you would imagine happening in a small village. 

The book has been made into a movie that was said to be spectacular. I am unfortunately ashamed to say that I haven't seen it YET. My excuse is that I'm expecting too much of the movie to finally see it. I will definitely see it soon. 

Srishti 
 

Reading Witches Template by Ipietoon Cute Blog Design and Bukit Gambang. This blog is © by Reading Witches.

Back to Top