10

13 March 2016

A Court of Thorns and Roses by Sarah J Maas


Spoilers!

------------------------------------------------------------




This book was recommended by Yomna (as most books) and I was ecstatic to know that it was a retell of Beauty and the Beast. When Yomna informed me more in depths about the story I was kind of hesitant but I finally caved in. The cover is absolutely gorgeous and I loved the title font. In my opinion, fairytale re-tells are the best kind of fantasy books. It was during my wattpad "obsession" phase (which I still love) that I discovered them. I directed myself more towards the fanfic and the romance based books (bad boys and all that) it turned slightly to fantasy thus where I forged my love for fairytale re-telling..  but now that I tasted fairytale retells I can't contain myself. 

Anyhow, I absolutely loved the book and it is a must read! Because honestly it is worth fangirling about! Ahhhh! I love and dislike the fact that it is a series. I have this love hate relationship with series! But I cannot wait for the second book to come out. I can't put into words how much I love it. I mean there are so much elements I love! 

Is there a kickass main character? Check! Steamy romance which is both mind losing but a bit uncomfortable for people such as me? Check! Animals? Check! Different species or creatures? Check! Mystery? Check! May I need to go on? Check! Cool places? Check! Romance? Check! Great fandom? Check!

I am seriously obsessed and amazed by all the kickass girl protagonist characters present in the world. Yay Girl Power! It brings you hope. And Feyre is part of that. This main character is beautiful and inspiring. She shows a strong sense of ethics and is selfless. I love the fact that she supports her family and shows a strong façade all the time. Which is hard, but sometimes you just need to let go for even the shortest period of time. I am currently listening to Ophelia by The Lumineers and it is setting me in a super good mood to write so let's get this review pumping! *air punches and hits herself* 

The ideas are fresh                  
and original even thought it is based on the classic Beauty and The Beast. The curse lingering around is mysterious but all the more intriguing. If this book was a cliché high school clique the curse will probably the mysterious bad boy. I was a bit confused as to how the mask is placed on the faces but it still pleased me. The book unfortunately doesn't rotate around the idea of roses such as the Disney original one. 

Tamlin is one of my favourite and the pair has entered my Honeymoon Palace a while ago. They are the cutest and are goals. They don't directly plunge into a romance which is beautiful. Their love is like the Hazel love and sleeping metaphor (TFIOS reference) which is also applicable here. I had a strong dislike for Nera (the protagonists sister) because she was annoying and plainly hateful. In there encounter later in the middle-end-ish part of the book my dislike slowly turned to remorse as I didn't stick to my one rule. 
When I was younger I promised to not judge a person with no background reason because I was judged too. I judged Nera way too fast without knowing her side of the story. When Feyre and Nera finally meet again I took I liking to her. I don't personally know how she feels but I understand where the negativity comes from. The places in the book where all well described and very enchanting. 

The book is wonderfully filled with romance. The first half of the book is the introduction to the romance and the new world while the other half is packed with action. I was emotionally captured during the end of the book. I was really stressed for Feyre during the three trials. Amarantha was my favourite character. Which might be suprising. She may have been the villain and made Feyre go through a lot of pain. And bla bla. But she just represent the strength and power. She was someone that didn't give up and had a strong sense of responsibility. She was very smart and seemed beautiful. She was heartbroken when her sister died and just wanted revenge. She didn't break down and ran away without facing the earth ever again. She fought back. It it is for this reason that she is one of my favorite character.  

Overall the book is amazing and I recommend it to people who love fairy tales. It is beautiful and written wonderfully. The second book is coming out soon and I am hesitating to read it. I absolutely hate love triangles and I don't want one in the second book. I love the book so much!!!!  


Thank you, 

Srishti. 
(Pictures are not taken by me. Credit goes to rightful owner)

PS: read it!! 



Oh the things they don't tell you about this book. First of all, I read this book as an ebook but when I went to a bookstore I saw the paperback version and it's has this 3D textured title and the thorns on it. It's pretty cool. 


Another thing they don't tell you about this book is that it is steamy. This book is hot under the cover. It is sexy. Oh god. And I LOVED it. It made me have butterflies and root for Feyre and Tamlin so much. 

Also, the other thing you may not know about this book is that there are so many aesthetics for it. And I love it. The fandom of this book is already so big and I understand because guys, this book is amazing. I mean, woah, it blew me away. 

So basically, I'm filling my post with aesthetics that I got from google, so credit goes to the rightful owners.
Kick ass main character: Feyre is so amazing and I love her. She kicks ass. She fights for her family. She's brave. She's independent. She's...I've run out of words. She's awesome. 

Original Story: Yeah, I know that this is a retelling and everything but Sarah J Mass just puts this amazing creative spin on the old story and I'd love to see this get adapted into a movie. It would be so good. I can already imagine those steamy scenes.


Humor: omg I laughed so much when Tamlin was awkwardly flirting with Feyre, it was so cute. You know how there are those moments in a romance where you see them connecting but also those funny moments that give a couple character? It's so beautiful to see those parts in this story. They're very entertaining. 


“You look . . . better than before."
Was that a compliment? I could have sworn Lucien gave Tamlin an encouraging nod.
"And you hair is . . . clean.”


Anybody else laughed out loud?
Tamlin: Love him. 

Amarantha: Let me say for the record how much I loved the name Amarantha. It sounded so good, but now, maybe not so much. Wow, I mean she's cold. She's awful. It would be so scary for someone to be as obsessed with someone as Amarantha was with Tamlin.


Fun fact: A Court of Thorns and Roses already has a wiki so check it out here. It's a very cool website. 





Check out this awesome quote from A Court of Thorns and Roses

“He brought his lips to my ear. "I would have been gentle with you, though." I shuddered as I closed my eyes. Every inch of my body went taut as his words echoed through me. "I would have had you moaning my name throughout it all. And I would have taken a very, very long time, Feyre.” 
Damn. I think reading that made me shudder too. 
Love triangle: I can feel the love triangle that is going to happen in the next book. And I don't know how to feel about it. I will read the next book, definitely (the promise of more steamy scenes is enough to keep me going) but I'm a bit worried because I really liked Tamlin in this book and I feel like it would be all for nothing if she didn't end up with him.
Anyways, this book was amazing and I would recommend it to everyone mature enough to handle the steamy scenes.

"I came to claim the one I love."
Thanks,
Yomna 

_________________________________________________________________________

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Tell us all your thoughts!

 

Reading Witches Template by Ipietoon Cute Blog Design and Bukit Gambang. This blog is © by Reading Witches.

Back to Top