10

15 October 2016

Violet is Amazing in The Black Key by Amy Ewing {Yomna's Review}


For too long, Violet and the people of the outer circles of the Lone City have lived in service to the royalty of the Jewel. But now the secret society known as the Black Key is preparing to seize power.
And while Violet knows she is at the center of this rebellion, she has a more personal stake in it—her sister, Hazel, has been taken by the Duchess of the Lake. Now, after fighting so hard to escape the Jewel, Violet must do everything in her power to return to save not only Hazel, but the future of the Lone City.


Wonderful, and refreshing, I felt that this was the best installment of this series.

My rating: 4/5

This review is spoiler free for this book! It does contain spoilers for the previous books though. If you are thinking about reading this series, my recommendation is that you go for it. 





So this is book where Violet Lasting's revolution is unleashed on the world. Overall, generally, I like this book much more than the second one in this series. The White Rose -while I rated that book 4/5 stars- felt a bit tiresome to me, without much action. This book I felt brought the stakes higher and the characters were better expressed. 

This book does not have nearly as much romance as The Jewel or The White Rose. The Jewel had the most romance out of the three books. In this book, the romance plays a small but significant role.

Although I really enjoyed the story, I felt that sometimes the story was a bit flat to me. I thought the plot was fine, it's just that I didn't feel like I could relate to or understand the characters. Some side characters I felt were a bit overdone, overdramatized, and over everythingilized, basically. 

I really like Ash in this book, I felt like he became more in the story and he meant more. It made the dynamic with Violet that much more interesting. 

Obviously, in the previous book, we leave off with Violet finding out that her sister has been captured. I must say I was really impressed by what Violet did and her character in this book. 

Since reading the Jewel (can you believe it's been two years?), I remember always thinking that there was something really dark about this book. The first book was especially brutal and dangerous, and I loved it. In terms of how far the author was willing to take it in this book, it's a bit 'tamer' than The Jewel because Violet was less naive so the events hit less acutely. Now is that a bad thing? Eh, kind of. In The Jewel everything was shocking and new but in this book I felt that they were a bit rushed and not as satisfying.

The supporting characters were spectacular. I loved Garnet, and Raven, and of course, Lucien. 

I recommend this book if you already started the series, it's a pretty solid finish.

Thanks for reading my post!

Yomna <3

"I am Violet Lasting again. I am home."

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Tell us all your thoughts!

 

Reading Witches Template by Ipietoon Cute Blog Design and Bukit Gambang. This blog is © by Reading Witches.

Back to Top