10

26 October 2017

Quick Reviews #2: The Woman in Black, Death and Night, and Holding Up the Universe {Yomna's Reviews}



















I know this combination of books is somewhat odd, I mean, you'd think if they were in the same post they'd be kind of related, right? Sorry guys, no such luck here! Spoiler free!





The Woman in Black by Susan Hill  3/5

I read this book for English class, and it was extremely upsetting. The whole book was a drag to me, it did not resonate with me at all, except for the ending, which was unfairly brutal. I felt that that whole story had been tame and feeble up to that point, so I was most definitely not expecting that ending. And it got me really mad. This book is the definition of ‘I wasn’t prepared’ endings. It’s just really sad. I’m going to go cry now.



Death and Night by Roshani Chockshi  4.5/5
I forgot about this book for the longest time. Then, I was casually browsing through Goodreads (more like frantically clicking for a book to read) and I found this jewel. I read The Star-Touched Queen and A Crown of Wishes and loved both. I love Roshani Chockshi’s writing style, it’s so descriptive and dream-like. Death and Night was no different. I think I like this story more than The Star-Touched Queen, only because this one is simpler in plot and accordingly, I found it much easier to read and enjoy.  


Holding Up the Universe by Jennifer Niven 3.5/5
I liked this book, but not as much as I wanted to like it. I related to Libby, but at times I felt that she was really annoying and dramatic and headache-invoking. All in all, her story felt like something I'd read and seen and heard about before. Jack, however, really saved the story. His character was so original, the struggles so new and different, it was so refreshing. His story really made my heart ache. Overall, I'm not mad, I just expected more. 





That's it! What have you guys been reading?

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Tell us all your thoughts!

 

Reading Witches Template by Ipietoon Cute Blog Design and Bukit Gambang. This blog is © by Reading Witches.

Back to Top