10

18 August 2018

From Twinkle, With Love by Sandya Menon | A fluffy read that doesn't disappoint {Yomna's Review}

Just look at that STUNNING cover!

Aspiring filmmaker and wallflower Twinkle Mehra has stories she wants to tell and universes she wants to explore, if only the world would listen. So when fellow film geek Sahil Roy approaches her to direct a movie for the upcoming Summer Festival, Twinkle is all over it. The chance to publicly showcase her voice as a director? Dream come true. The fact that it gets her closer to her longtime crush, Neil Roy—a.k.a. Sahil’s twin brother? Dream come true x 2.

When mystery man “N” begins emailing her, Twinkle is sure it’s Neil, finally ready to begin their happily-ever-after. The only slightly inconvenient problem is that, in the course of movie-making, she’s fallen madly in love with the irresistibly adorkable Sahil.

Twinkle soon realizes that resistance is futile: The romance she’s got is not the one she’s scripted. But will it be enough?

Told through the letters Twinkle writes to her favorite female filmmakers, From Twinkle, with Love navigates big truths about friendship, family, and the unexpected places love can find you.


From Twinkle, With Love is a bit cheesy at first glance. It uses the typical secret admirer plotline that we've seen in so many books and movies. However, I realized as I got further into the book how different it was to any other contemporary teen romance I'd read before, and it reminded me of what I liked in When Dimple Met Rishi.



I had a bit of trouble with From Twinkle, With Love because of the pacing, but it really picked up after 40 pages, and it was worth the time I invested. The novel has many great spunky diverse characters, and I adored Sahil in particular. Talk about a swoon-worthy book boyfriend! As for Twinkle, I mostly liked her as well. To be honest, some of her mistakes annoyed me, and she seemed kind of immature at times, but I think that that made her portrayal more real and believable. Overall, she's a well-rounded and very original character. 

I also loved the supporting characters of this book and how it portrayed friendship and family. Sandhya Menon's books are very unique in the YA contemporary genre! Her writing has surprisingly illustrious details despite being a contemporary. (I normally find YA teen contemporaries to focus more on plot and therefore I feel like they tend to have bland writing.) I loved the ending, it was so beautiful and perfect. And I especially loved how Menon incorporated elements from Indian culture such as the language, and also in general about the struggles of minorities in western countries and communities. 

Overall, if you're looking for a fun, original and romantic summer read, definitely check this one out! And I'd also absolutely recommend When Dimple Met Rishi if you want another diverse teen read.


Tell me your thoughts!
Yomna

6 comments:

  1. Twinkle annoyed me a little at times as well, but I agree with you that having her be that way made her feel all the more realistic. I really loved Sahil too. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Suzanne! Honestly, Sandhya Menon did a great job with this one!

      Delete
  2. Aww so glad you had fun with this one!! I think I liked Dimple & Rishi better by the author, but SAHIL WAS SO ADORABLE. And I'm glad Twinkle had a really epic character arc too, which is great in stories. 😍

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I enjoyed When Dimple Met Rishi more as well, but this was an unexpected delight! Totally agree, I was crushing SO HARD on Sahil! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  3. Sadly, I still have not read this one (or 'Dimple' either). They're both high on my must-read list though as a. they look adorable, and b. I love the synopsis of these books!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh they're so good you'll love them, especially if you want something a bit more light-hearted! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete

Tell us all your thoughts!

 

Reading Witches Template by Ipietoon Cute Blog Design and Bukit Gambang. This blog is © by Reading Witches.

Back to Top