10

13 October 2018

Emma by Jane Austen | The Mean Girls of the Nineteenth Century

My rating: 4/5 

"Emma Woodhouse, handsome, clever, and rich, with a comfortable home and happy disposition, seemed to unite some of the best blessings of existence; and had lived nearly twenty-one years in the world with very little to distress or vex her."


It took me a month to read this book. And I honestly think the fault lies with both the book and me. The book itself is pretty slow-paced, consistently with other classics I've read. I think I'm just too used to fast-paced teen fiction that it's hard to me to adapt to a more languish pace. Anyways, I've been so busy with school as well that I just haven't really had time to read as much, which breaks my heart to be honest, but I'm planning to get back on track very soon! 

I think this book is honestly incredible. Emma is unlike any other character I've read before. What I loved the most of Emma is that the nineteenth century drama isn't as different from today's drama as much as I thought it would've been. Take Mrs.Elton, for example, is she not the typical empty-headed mean girl? I was rolling my eyes out of their sockets at phrases such as, "conjugal obedience" and "my Lord and master". This girl needs to get a life and stop meddling in Jane Fairfax's affairs. And the fact that Jane was always so respectful of Mrs.Elton annoys me to no end! 

Besides the drama, this book has a lot of heart to offer. I loved the characters of Mrs.Weston and Mr.Knightley and their interactions with Emma. It was all so interesting as to make me keep reading this book even while it seemed to stretch on forever. 

Overall, if you want an introduction to classics, I wouldn't recommend this book to start with. However, it is a good one if you've enjoyed any of Austen's other books!

Thanks,
Yomna

2 comments:

  1. Yess... Emma is now one of my favourites. But in class, I had to read it and found it hard. I started listening to it as an audible book, and I don't know why but its really relaxing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I haven't tried the audio book at all to be honest! I loved the book and the ending so much though...and honestly I think if I read this book in class I would've hated it because that's what usually happens to me with books read in class. I'm planning to read more Jane Austen soon! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete

Tell us all your thoughts!

 

Reading Witches Template by Ipietoon Cute Blog Design and Bukit Gambang. This blog is © by Reading Witches.

Back to Top