10

29 October 2018

Review: Kingdom of Ash by Sarah J Maas | I was not ready for this heart-wrenching book {Yomna's Review}

My rating: 5/5


SPOILERS FOR EVERY Throne of Glass book!


It is May 2016 and I am in my school's library. I pass by a book with a badass assassin on it. She's holding two swords on each hand, and she looks like she's ready to destroy the world. She looks angry, this girl. I wonder why, and since I have nothing else to read at the moment, I pick it up and I start reading. While I enjoy the first book, it is the second book that really hooks me into this girl's story. Suddenly, I start being really invested in what happens to her and her friends, I start rooting for her book after book, and Sarah J Maas never fails to deliver. 

I know a lot of people say that they read Throne of Glass at a low point in their life, and I guess I can say the same. I read Throne of Glass when I was on a school trip which resulted in me fighting with my two best friends. Somehow, we reached a big disagreement and I ended up sitting alone on the bus on the ride home. I was hiding behind the window curtain as I cried because I thought this would be the end of our friendship. I had Throne of Glass on my lap then and didn't get through much because of my crying. 



Now, two years later, I'm writing this review and crying because I'm still in awe and disbelief of all that has happened in 980 pages. These 980 pages have ripped me apart. I cried pretty much nonstop through the last 250 pages, and that's about 3 hours of continuous crying. I don't know how I'm going to get through school tomorrow. Before this review gets too long, I do want to actually talk about the book. 

I have been in love with Aelin's character from the minute I started reading her story, she did not disappoint me in Kingdom of Ash. The number of horrible things that she went through astound me and it was really quite hard to see her heal in this book because it made me so sad to see how much she had to suffer. It's really astounding to me how often these book characters start feeling like real people, or even more important than real people, to me. I loved it when she owned her life without her fire magic and really made the best of it, that's the character I have come to admire over these two years and she really retained those qualities that made us all adore her when we first started the series. 

She frowned, her eyes dampening. “I’m going to have a terrible headache from all this crying, and you’re not helping.” Rowan laughed, and kissed her again. “Very queenly.” She hummed. “I am, if anything, the consummate portrait of royal grace.”

Someone who really shines in this book as well is Manon. Manon went through her greatest character development in the series in this book, and it was incredible to witness her go from a hate-filled witch to a clean-hearted queen. This made the loss of the Thirteen so hard for me. I felt every loss as if I was Manon and cried so much. Asterin Blackbeak's death, in particular, killed me. The bravery, the sacrifice that she chose to give, I can't find any words for it. 


Two characters who also really astounded me in this book were Dorian and Yrene Towers. Dorian's retrieval of the third Wyrdkey was incredible, his being a true king held me in thrall. He has learned so much throughout his journey and he has such a good heart. The reunion scene between him and Chaol also killed me, it was so sentimental, such a good way to bring the story full circle. 

Yrene Towers, is really a true savior in this book. The fact that she's in this war pregnant and manages to destroy one of the main villains of the story amazed me. Another reason I love these books is because of how strong the women are, and how many countless times they save the world. Elide's role in this is also not to be ignored. Despite her not being at peak physical condition, she still performs admirably and manages to come up with a genius plan to destroy Erawan. I think a lot of people will agree with me as well when I say that the relationship between Lorcan and Elide was incredibly developed in this book. 

I also loved the role that Aedion and Lysandra played in the book. Aedion was a horrible character in the beginning and I was so proud of Lysandra when she refused to allow him to trample over her. That part made me realize how incredibly strong and unbreakable she had become. In the end, I loved the slow burning reconciliation between Aedion and Lysandra, they are such a perfect couple.



I don't think I can end this review without talking about Rowan and the cadre. Oh man, I loved Rowan in this book. He was so supportive and perfect, and I feel like he was always there at the right time. The friendship between him and Aelin was so inspiring to me. I also loved the bromance between Aelin and Fenrys, they formed such an important bond despite their hardships, and I really respect Sarah J Maas' writing for being so good in its representation of their trauma and recovery. Finally, we come to Gavriel, who I'm not so sure had to die, but if the intention was to break our hearts, it worked. I realize now why I felt like ACOWAR was a bit lacking (though I didn't write that in my review). ACOWAR doesn't show us the cost of war and hardship, but Kingdom of Ash definitely does. That has made Throne of Glass more painful, but also more worthwhile. 

I can't bear to write any more without out-right sobbing, but I love what Sarah J Maas has done with the series and how it has ended, it really feels like I just read something that has been perfected over years. Good endings are always bittersweet, and this one is the most bittersweet of them all. I love how Sarah J Maas included so many elements of previous books to make us remember how far we have come. I have never cried so much because of a book nor felt so incredibly satisfied, and it is heartbreaking to think that there will be no more Throne of Glass books after this. I'm also kind of happy the next Sarah J Maas release is a while away because I need to take time to recover. 

For all of you who have gone on this journey with me, tell me all your thoughts! Are you okay? How do you feel about the series ending? Also, if you've read ACOTAR, did anyone catch that cameo at the end?

Love, 
Yomna

2 comments:

  1. Loved the ACOTAR cameo! And completely agree, this book was so amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you thought so! I'm still recovering, to be honest.

      Delete

Tell us all your thoughts!

 

Reading Witches Template by Ipietoon Cute Blog Design and Bukit Gambang. This blog is © by Reading Witches.

Back to Top