10

31 December 2018

Review: The Cruel Prince by Holly Black | Yes, I've finally read it and I liked it

My rating: 4/5

I can't wait for the next books!


It's been a while since I've posted a review and I'm so glad to be back and reviewing a fantastic book that I've been wanting to read for A LONG TIME. In fact, I put this book on my list of 5 Books I'm Guilty of Not Reading because it felt like literally everyone had read this book and was talking about it! 

Usually, when I put off reading a book for this long I end up just not reading it at all, but I'm SO glad I didn't do that with this book because it is worth the wait, at least for me. 

I actually don't know what to think I'm still processing this book but all I know is that was EPIC...

Holly Black offers an interpretation of magic and faeries that is quite dark; instead of being kind beings, they are cruel and only interested in the pain of others. Their existence is quite horrifying but also so interesting to read because it feels very original in this novel. 


I love the pacing of this book, once I was in, it wasn't hard to keep going and I felt very interested in the plot and Jude as a character. 
Don't get me wrong, though, this book is a pretty traumatic read. The emotional stress that Jude goes through really shocked me and it was so action-packed I was always holding my breath for the next big thing. 

I love Jude's character so much, she is so smart and badass that she is easy to admire. I also think that Holly Black characterized her in such a way that even though what she was doing is so different to what we as readers have in our lives, we could still understand her. 


My favorite thing about this book is that it does not hold back. The writing is suspenseful and every time I think, "NO SHE WOULDN'T", I am surprised by what happens. I love unpredictable books, they remind me of when I was younger and was surprised at everything that would happen in a book because I didn't think people could be that imaginative in their writing.


I love a good touch of romance in a book, so I loved the intriguing dynamic between Cardan and Jude. It is so fun to read about them and I think they will become a very important relationship in the next two books. 



Anyways, I loved the book, loved how it showed the complications of sisterhood, how cruel an individual can be and other dark themes and I am so excited for the next books and hope they are the same quality if not better!


Tell me all your thoughts and opinions! Have you read this book yet? If not, are you planning to?

Thanks,
Yomna

4 comments:

  1. YAY it does sound like such a good read! I LOVE it when an author just keeps me guessing through everything!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Then you would definitely love this! And it's so easy to read, too! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. I am so glad you were able to love this book after anticipating it so much. A lot of people seem to love Jude according to book twitter and I need to read this book just to discover his character. I am glad the book doesn't hold back and it could be exciting because of that ^.^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It totally is and I hope you love it as much as I did, it's really worth the time! It's perfect especially if you like morally grey characters!

      Delete

Tell us all your thoughts!

 

Reading Witches Template by Ipietoon Cute Blog Design and Bukit Gambang. This blog is © by Reading Witches.

Back to Top