10

29 April 2019

Review: Heart of Thorns by Bree Barton | An Unexpected Delight



Guys, what a cool tagline: Trust your heart, even if it kills you. 

Just a disclaimer, when I say in the title that this is an "unexpected delight", I don't mean that this is a book that someone would not think is interesting based on the synopsis and cover (which are really good), it's only because there were a few mixed reviews about this book. 

My rating: 4/5






A long time ago, I was reading so many fantasy series at the same time and having to wait for each of them was painful. So for a while, I didn't really start any new series. Now that quite a few series have ended (Six of Crows, The Selection, Throne of Glass, etc), I decided to start this first book in a trilogy. Despite some mixed reviews of this book, I LOVED IT. I expected a typical teen fiction fantasy with ordinary characters, however, although there were some slight elements of cliche, this story felt really original to me. As I've grown as a reader, originality is something I really appreciate because many books are just too predictable now to me. For a first book in a fantasy series, I think this book is stellar.

To grant an idea about this book, it's about a world in which there's a king, ruling over a river kingdom, who prosecutes a group of women who possess an extraordinary power that can be used to kill, deceive, or heal. They can use their magic to seduce people, manipulate them, but also to help them. The story is fairly political and discusses how the alienation of these women and their powers has caused a divide between the river kingdom and other countries in the region. Mia's, the main character, mom was killed years ago supposedly by one of these women. Her father has instilled in Mia a desire to kill all these horrible women but unexpectedly for Mia, her father arranges a marriage for her with the Prince, Quin. However, Mia soon finds out that she has those forbidden powers and the book is about the consequences of that ability. 

One thing that I really liked about this book is the ease of getting into the story. This is something that has become really necessary in any book I read because I have so much schoolwork so I don't have the time nor patience to wait for a book to get interesting. The plot picks up from the beginning and I had trouble putting it down when I was reading it on the bus on the way to Tennis training. If you really want a good fantasy that's easy to get into, this is definitely the book for you. 

The characters in this book were also really well-developed. Mia is dealing with the whole "I'm not who I thought I was" plotline in an interesting way and I'm excited to see her grow in the next books. Prince Quin is a solid character although I guess I would've liked to hear more about his backstory and how he avoided becoming a murderous sadist like his dad, but there are two books left, so I'm sure there will be more to learn about him. I really enjoyed the romantic tension plotline and I think it really added to the characterization of both Mia and Quin. The side characters are not very meaningful in this book but I enjoyed their role in the plot, although maybe there's room to know more about them. Overall, I really enjoyed the whole cast of characters.


I thought Mia was quite a badass character, with an incredible skill set.

To end, this is a really entertaining and interesting read that will be good if you want something to get you hooked quickly. I definitely recommend this book especially if you want to read some fantasy romance at a YA level!

Hope you read it and enjoy it!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Tell us all your thoughts!

 

Reading Witches Template by Ipietoon Cute Blog Design and Bukit Gambang. This blog is © by Reading Witches.

Back to Top