10

2 July 2019

Rapid Movie Reviews | Aquaman, Aladdin, and Eighth Grade

I haven't written about any movies on here for a while, so here we go!
Due to school stress and deadlines, I haven't watched a good movie in what feels like forever. There were a bunch of movies which had caught my attention and I kept them on a "movies to watch" list on my phone for when the time came and I would be free to watch a bunch of movies lazily on my couch. And now that time has come! These are three movies that stand out amongst the few I've watched ever since my summer vacation began. I strongly recommend all three of these!

Aquaman (2018): Awesome male and female character leads
For a girl who's not really into superhero movies (never really watched a Marvel movie besides Antman, sorry), I really enjoyed this one. I don't have anything against superhero movies, in fact, I'm determined to watch all the Marvel movies, but I just haven't had the time, I guess. As for DC, I watched and LOVED Wonder Woman and this one is no different. Honestly, Aquaman and Wonder Woman really delivered and it reflects well on DC. 

Anyways, what I loved about this movie is the unexpected humor, the beautiful cinematography and animation (also I don't know why but I LOVED the soundtrack, it was so well-picked?), and the badass female and male leads. Aquaman and Princess Mera were so effortlessly cool but at the same time snarky and fun. Not to mention that neither of them is an eyesore to look at. Additionally, the movie explores a lot of themes such as loyalty, family, and the potential political intrigue that would arise from an underwater kingdom and the earth's surface. I think this movie delivered on all fronts and I think it's a really good movie to watch with your family, friends, etc. I will definitely be rewatching this one soon. 


Eighth Grade (2018): A poignant and beautiful depiction of coming of age
Ladies and gentlemen, this movie is an absolute MASTERPIECE. This depiction of adolescence honestly struck a chord in my soul. The actress Elsie Fisher perfectly portrays the experience of being an 8th grader and struggling to fit in. The movie discusses the many threats to the mental health of adolescents (particularly female)  including bullying, the pressure to grow up and be sexualized way too soon (not that there is a time to start), and feeling misunderstood by your parents. I think it's a perfect movie to watch to understand just some of what young girls are dealing with in this modern world. Most importantly, however, what is most interesting and striking about this movie is how the movie so beautifully earns my sympathy for Kayla, the protagonist. I was happy, embarrassed, sad, triumphant, excited, etc with her every step of the way. This is truly such a meaningful and touching movie please go watch it!


Aladdin (2019): A beautiful remake that brings together the old and the new
There were times when I think this movie was confused about whether it was in Arabia or India, but I think, despite this fault, it is pretty much perfect. In fact, I kind of life this fusion of culture, because it's true that in reality, it is not as clearcut as it seems, and some of both cultures has burst out of the seams and merged with the other. Nonetheless, the Arabic influence was clear in this movie and I really respected that. For example, all the writing that the characters read is in Arabic, and the music definitely has some influences of oriental Arabic styles of music. This, for me, as an Arabic viewer, really sold the movie for me. I feel like Disney made a genuine and authentic effort to represent my culture. 

Another plus about this movie is that Jasmine gets a triumphant and satisfying feminist treatment. Jasmine is now a woke queen who is not afraid to fight back, and she even gets her own beautiful ballad "Speechless". Naomi Scott and Mena Masood beautiful occupy the lead roles but there's no doubt that Will Smith is also a star here. His humor, moments of levity, and singing had me smiling throughout the whole movie. Please watch this one, it's worth it!

Have you guys watched these three movies? If yes, what did you think? And what else are you excited for this summer? I'm personally counting the days until the new The Lion King is released!

Thanks,
Yomna

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Tell us all your thoughts!

 

Reading Witches Template by Ipietoon Cute Blog Design and Bukit Gambang. This blog is © by Reading Witches.

Back to Top