10

11 December 2016

The Witch's Tears by Katharine and Elizabeth Corr | Yomna's Review


My rating: 2.5/5

Thank you to NetGalley and Harper Collins UK for allowing me to read an advanced copy of this book! Mark your calendars for its release on the 26th of January 2017!

Unfortunately, I did not particularly enjoy this book!

Check out my review of the first book in this series here!

This review does not spoil the book but does give you a bit of an overview of it.


Despite the gorgeous cover, this book was a disappointment. I was so upset. It felt like a chore to read this book, to be honest.

The first book is this series was wayyyy better for me. 

The main characters, Leo and Merry, were annoying, flat, cliche, and repetitive. They kept on having typical sibling conflicts over and over to the point where I felt like pulling my hair out. I was so tempted to stop reading this book about 100 times. It was just so frustrating and, frankly boring. Here is a peak into every fight they had:

Leo: I'm going out

*comes back late*

Merry: *spies on him*

And I think we can all guess how that ends with fights over and again. Like honestly, Merry, lay off. 

And another thing Merry was freaking annoying. She was so arrogant and uncooperative. 

Merry: OMG my grandma is horrible she's trying to teach me spells that I can help the world with I want to do spells only for myself! Ugh why can't I do FUN spells?

Seriously? She was ridiculous. And the thing is she kept repeating this whole monologue, attempting to invoke sorrow for her character from the reader. Well, it ain't happening. This girl needs a personality transplant. I just found her so hard to read. She's not a main character I would champion. 

I pretty much never really got into this book, like ever. Nothing happened ever, and everything was slow and boring. The first half of the book is just Merry's internal monologue about how she wishes she could learn other spells and a little bit of new characters that have nothing to do with anything. 

The romance was just annoying and not interesting or exciting because the main character pissed me off. I could not enjoy it at all. 

The only emotion I felt in this book was boredom. I'm not even kidding. You know that feeling when you're doing the dishes? That's what reading this book was like. Repetitive and boring. And a chore. Have I said that already? 

The only good thing about this book was its cover. Nothing else. 

The worst part was the foreshadowing with rhetorical questions. Especially since what it foreshadowing was......(drum roll please) nothing! At least nothing exciting and mind-blowing like, you know, good books. 

Exhibit A:

"It wasn't likely they were going to come back, anyway, was it?"

Overall, unfortunately I did not like this book! However, if you want to read this book, don't let me stop you! 


Thanks,
Yomna

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Tell us all your thoughts!

 

Reading Witches Template by Ipietoon Cute Blog Design and Bukit Gambang. This blog is © by Reading Witches.

Back to Top