10

13 August 2016

To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee {Yomna's Review}




My rating: 5/5



“You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view... Until you climb inside of his skin and walk around in it.” 

I was actually forced to read this book as summer reading for English class. At first I hated the whole thing and was eager to just read it and get it done with so I could read other books that I was more interested in. But then I started to fall in love....

Scout, or Jean Louis, as a character, weirded me out in the beginning. Her mentality was a bit hard to get used to, but in the end, it's kind of surprising how much I ended up loving her. She was phenomenal. The best thing is, Scout, as a character doesn't know much of what is going on nor does she understand it, so we get to learn with her and go on an entertaining journey.

 
There are a lot of things to learn from this book. I completely admire Atticus' decision to defend the defenseless. It's such a beautiful idea that sometimes, because of our humanity, we can do things for other humans just because they're right, and not because we're expecting a reward or guaranteed to succeed. 


I love the relationship between Jem and Scout. It's so beautiful. Even though they bicker with each other a lot, their love for eachother is unconditional. One of my favorite parts of the book was when Jem showed Scout his chest and armpit hair, I just thought it was funny and adorable how clueless they both are. 





One character than probably all of us hated in the beginning was Scout's aunt Alexandra. Although she still has strict ways and a mindset that will bother Scout as a tomboy forever, I've started to see her more as a person rather than a mean nobody. Sometimes you need to judge people not by their actions, but by their intentions.


Another thing I admired about this book is how much time is spent introducing and making the characters familiar to us before the main conflict is introduced. I think that made for not only a fuller story,  but also an easier one to understand, once you got past the first 80 pages. 


I loved this book. I really really did. I definitely enjoyed it more than Roll of Thunder Hear My Cry, another book about discrimination against blacks. Funny how we're supposed to be in this new age and yet there are still black people being treated unfairly. And people of other races and religions of course.

 
Dill's character is fantastic and definitely added a lot to the story, I love that he was based on Harper Lee's real life best friend. I just think that's so sweet. I also love that Dill has an incredible imagination and does things another way than anyone else. Difference is beautiful. 


This was a breathtaking story about sin and the things bad people can do, love, and how good people should still fight, even if success isn't guaranteed. Because let's face it, when is it ever guaranteed? 


Thanks to Harper Lee for writing this book. I just think the message it portrays is just so important. 


Thanks,
Yomna

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Tell us all your thoughts!

 

Reading Witches Template by Ipietoon Cute Blog Design and Bukit Gambang. This blog is © by Reading Witches.

Back to Top